Disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links, meaning (at no additional cost to you) this blog earns a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Yay! It’s here!
The new year has rolled in, and it is time to reassess your goals. I’m not talking resolutions, people, because those never seem to last more than a day or two anyway. I’m talking GOALS. I think a year kinda needs an agenda, right? Like a Chinese calendar type thing. For me, 2017 is going to be the year of Time Management.
Time management is a big trouble spot for me. I tend to greatly overestimate the amount of tasks that I can perform in any given period of time: I have exactly one hour before I need to leave for the thing. I am sure I can finish writing this blog post, edit these photos, clean out the pantry, wash 4 loads of clothes, cook a roast, and…I think you get the idea. My massive to-do list causes me to feel overwhelmed which leads to anxiety. Anxiety leads to frustration. Frustration leads to anger, and anger leads to the Dark Side. Wait…I think I got carried away.
So, to keep the frustration at bay, I am going to put serious effort into better time management.
I spent a few moments this weekend on reflection and really analyzing the way I
waste spend my time, and I realized I allow way too much Facebook/Instagram/Twitter time suck. I find myself making excuses like “I am engaging my readers” or “I am networking with other bloggers.” But, am I, though? I don’t think spending 20 minutes reading the infuriating comments on a political Facebook post or looking at an endless You’ll never believe photo gallery are really helping out my blog (or my sanity) one bit. Usually, I just end up cranky that I spent so much time on the nonsense, and then I am right back in anxious town because I wasted the hour I was supposed to be using for ticking off the ol’ to-do list. That is the main reason why I decided that this year will be the year I learn time management.
Alrighty. We covered the big one. The 2017 goal numero uno. So what else am I going to be working on this year? Oh, I am so glad you asked. 😉
My Goals for 2017: Family & Marriage
- I want to spend more quality time with my husband and with my kids. I am going to do a better job planning date night and family-fun night activities. I will plan them well in advance, so they can be incorporated into the week, that way we will be sure to have the TIME to complete them.
- Improve communication within our household. I have not entirely fleshed out the how of this one. It may involve starting monthly family meetings or taking a communications class. I am definitely open for suggestions or tips if you guys have any.
- Help my little guy implement a study plan. 5th grade has been a challenging year so far. It is the first time my little guy has been given long-term assignments and projects that require multiple parts. I want to work on a study plan to help him stay organized and not feel overwhelmed himself. I feel like we really need to get on top of things now before he enters the world of middle school next year.
My Goals for 2017: Personal
- Implement a healthier lifestyle. I have gained a tad bit of weight over the last year. Boo! It is not an unmanageable amount, but my clothes are becoming uncomfortable and just a wee bit snug. Also, I have really slacked off in the physical department. I am getting closer and closer to forty, and I honestly need to consider my overall health when it comes to cardio and water intake. I want to be a spry and feisty old lady someday, but for right now, I will work on getting back to the me that could do a mud run without dying.
- Quit eating out for lunch every day. I have slid into the habit of grabbing fast food for lunch most days of the week. IT IS TERRIBLE FOR ME!!!! I know that it is. I 100% know this. Plus, it is a huge drain on the wallet, and that money would be much better spent on a nice dinner with the husband or a fun activity with the kids. It mostly comes down to laziness and not wanting to pack my lunch the night before. Well, also, Chick-fil-a waffle fries are delicious.
My Goals for 2017: The Blog
- Continue streamlining my blogging process to save myself time. I have already made great strides in this department by utilizing schedulers and my planner, but I want to continue to improve my process with an editorial calendar that spans the entire year, using my lunch hour to rough draft blog posts, and setting aside blocks of time for photography and graphic editing so I can complete it in chunks instead of scrambling each week.
- Continue to grow my blog’s presence. I plan to add more guest posts to my resume this year and help build traffic with giveaways. Also, I am super excited to be collaborating with Anne of CCHC on an Instagram photo challenge that will kick off in February, more details on that to come!
- Work on the administrative end of my blog. I have finally started to see a trickle of money being earned by this whole blogging enterprise, and I need to buckle down and get serious with the book-keeping portion of running a business. I have found free accounting software that I am going to try out. Although it isn’t really crucial at this juncture, I want to have a good foundation in place for when (being super positive) I start actually earning an income.
I am super stoked that 2017 is here with all the promises and hopes a new year brings, and I am so very happy that I am able to continue on with this blogging gig. I am ready to hit the ground running! Who’s with me?
What are your goals for the new year? Do you have any advice on ways I can achieve mine?